Total Pageviews

Tuesday 8 November 2016

CONTRITION/TRANSLATION

I came upon the traditional Latin text of the Act of Contrition the other day, and found it moving. However, all the translations I saw seemed not to do justice to their model. So, greatly daring, I embarked upon my own, emboldened only by the fact that many years ago I spent a great deal of time on the prose rhythms of the Book of Common Prayer. Now, still greatly daring, I share the result.

Deus meus, 
ex toto corde pænitet me 
omnium meorum peccatorum,
eaque detestor, quia, peccando,
non solum pœnas a te iuste statutas promeritus sum,
sed præsertim quia offendi te, summum bonum, 
ac dignum qui super omnia diligaris.
Ideo firmiter propono,
adiuvante gratia tua,
de cetero me non peccaturum 
peccandique occasiones proximas fugiturum.
Amen.

My God,
with all my heart I regret all my sins,
and I hate them because, in sinning,
not only have I richly deserved
the pains thou hast justly decided
but mainly because I have vexed thee 
supreme good and most worthy 
for me to love above all
Therefore I firmly propose
with the present help of thy grace
henceforth no more to sin
and to flee sin's future occasions.
Amen.



1 comment: